D&D: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms (AFR) Expansion Guide
Dungeon & Dragons: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms (AFR) will be officially coming to MTG Arena on July 8th, 2021 at around 8 AM PST (3 PM UTC)! Below we have compiled all the resources to get you prepared for patch day, so you don’t miss out on anything – especially all the content that we have posted over the past week.
Release Date and Time
As per the course for major patches, Wizards of the Coast will be releasing the patch at around 8 AM PST and begin server maintenance which lasts for about 3 hours. We advice caution to players that want to play as soon as the game updates. Be sure to track the maintenance progress on the official MTG Arena Status Page for the latest update.
The full patch notes are detailed in the post below, as well as known issues being reported by the community in a separate post.
Wizards of the Coast just released this week’s announcements, though there wasn’t anything particularly new that wasn’t covered in the State of the Game, you can glance at the events that will starting running from the next two months. The most important event of them all – the AFR Quick Draft – begins July 23rd and runs for two weeks, rotating with the older sets. We have updated our Event Calendar accordingly.
- July 8 – July 31: Traditional Sealed Adventures in the Forgotten Realms
- July 8 – July 31: Sealed Adventures in the Forgotten Realms
- July 8 – Innistrad: Midnight Hunt release: Traditional Draft Adventures in the Forgotten Realms
- July 8 – Innistrad: Midnight Hunt release: Premier Draft Adventures in the Forgotten Realms
- July 9 – July 23: Quick Draft Zendikar Rising
- July 13 – July 15: Midweek Magic: Future Precons
- July 17 – July 20: Standard Metagame Challenge
- July 20 – July 22: Midweek Magic: Artisan
- July 23 – August 10: Quick Draft Adventures in the Forgotten Realms
- July 24 – July 27: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Constructed
- July 27 – July 29: Midweek Magic: Standard All Access
- July 30 – August 12: The Yawning Portal
- July 30 – August 1: The Arena Open
- August 3 – August 5: Midweek Magic: Singleton
- August 7 – August 10: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Draft Challenge
With every new set we should be getting a new promo code for 3 free packs. You won’t be able claim it until the patch drops! For more codes, check out our guide in the link below.
- PlayDND – 3 AFR packs
There’s a lot of interesting cards and mechanics in this expansion, if you look closely! Check out our Standard and Historic guides for the new format and get ahead of your opponents:
- The Best AFR Cards in Standard and Decklists
- Standard 2022 Guide and Rotation-Proof Decklists
- Gimmick, Good, or Gold: D&D Class Cards
- Gimmick, Good, or Gold: Dungeons in D&D Standard
- Gimmick, Good, or Gold: The D&D Creature Lands
Our quality limited guides are here to help you win your drafts, ahead of the curve from everybody else! The limited set reviews and corresponding tier list by Drifter:
And the complete limited guide by Compulsion for the overall picture:
- Part 1 – Mechanics, Tips, and Tricks
- Part 2 – Best Common and Uncommon Spells, Themes, and Archetypes
If you just want to check out the cards and digest all the information while you Brainstorm your new potential brews, below is the full card gallery. There are 281 + 121 cards in total:
New set, new Set Mastery! The contents are shown in the link below, and the full track will be updated once they are revealed. We have also updated our Mastery Calculator accordingly.
Be sure to finish off your current Strixhaven Mastery as much as you can. Also note that Daily Quests and Daily Wins will be reset again when the patch goes live, so be sure to complete what you have active already!