MaRo’s March of the Machine Teaser Has Arrived
On January 17, the official previews for March of the Machine will begin, due for release to MTG Arena on April 18! Some cards have been revealed already on its first look, which you can check out below if you cannot wait.
As is the ritual before the beginning of the preview season for each set, MTG’s head designer Mark Rosewater (often shortened to MaRo) gives us a bit of a teaser about what we can expect from the set over on his Tumblr, Blogatog. It usually includes abilities, creature types, and other unusual or noteworthy text that will appear on cards from the set, along with some clues about returning characters and more.
This morning, MaRo published the teaser for March of the Machine if you are still following along:
Maro’s March of the Machine Teaser
Before previews for March of the Machine officially begin, I thought it would be fun to do another of my Duelist-style teasers where I give tiny hints of things to come. Note that I’m only giving you partial information.
First up, here are some things you can expect:
- Numerous cards that mechanically care about Phyrexians
- A double-faced token (one that transforms)
- A card that costs XUUUU
- A variant of a mechanic returns to a premier set for the first time since it originally appeared
- A legendary creature returns not seen since Homelands
- A creature capable of dealing eleven poison counters
- Some planes show up in card names that have never done so before
- Wrenn returns with a new partner
- Two draft archetypes that have a creature type matters component (one of which is Phyrexians – see above)
- The tenth _____ & _____ sword
Next, here are some rules text that will be showing up on cards:
- “You may cast spells with flash or flying from the top of your library.”
- “an Aura, God or Demigod card”
- “where X is the excess damage dealt this way.”
- “This spell can’t be copied.”
- “Activate only if you’ve cast two or more spells this turn.”
- “Each player can’t cast more than one non-Phyrexian spell each turn.”
- “X twice, where X is the number of lands you control.”
- “Whenever a permanent you control transforms or a permanent enters the battlefield under your control transformed,”
- “If the opponent protects it, remove a defense counter from it.”
- “At the beginning of your upkeep, if you haven’t been dealt combat damage since your last turn, you draw a card and you lose 1 life.”
Finally, here are some Phyrexians in the set:
- Creature – Phyrexian Bear Rhino
- Creature – Phyrexian Devil
- Creature – Phyrexian Dog Warrior
- Creature – Phyrexian Jackal
- Creature – Phyrexian Samurai
- Creature – Phyrexian Shade
- Creature – Phyrexian Shark
- Creature – Phyrexian Treefolk
- Creature – Phyrexian Viashino
- Creature – Phyrexian Weird
And some creature type lines of denizens fighting them:
- Creature – Moonfolk Ninja
- Creature – Aetherborn Vampire
- Creature – Fungus Rabbit
- Creature – Dwarf Pilot
- Creature – Raccoon Warrior
- Creature – Goblin Spellshaper
- Creature – Wolverine Dinosaur
- Legendary Creature – Elder Giant Dog
- Legendary Creature – Ape Dinosaur Turtle
- Legendary Creature – Cyclops Homunculus
For answers to these and more, tune into March of the Machine’s Debut March 29th at 9:00 am on YouTube and Twitch.
MaRo’s teasers are always chock full of information and insight into the set, and it’s definitely worth giving the full list a read.
That’s all we have for you concerning March of the Machine for now. What are some of the tidbits from Mark Rosewater’s teaser that have you the most excited for March of the Machine? Got any predictions? Let us know in the comments, and we’ll keep you up-to-date with the latest news and spoilers. We’ll see you next week on its debut stream!
Enjoy our content? Wish to support our work? Join our Premium community, get access to exclusive content, remove all advertisements, and more!
- No ads: Browse the entire website ad-free, both display and video.
- Exclusive Content: Instant access to all exclusive articles only for Premium members, at your fingertips.
- Support: All your contributions get directly reinvested into the website to increase your viewing experience!
- Discord: Join our Discord server, claim your Premium role and gain access to exclusive channels where you can learn in real time!
- Special offer: For a limited time, use coupon code L95WR9JOWV to get 50% off the Annual plan!