Welcome to another installment of the MTG Arena Announcements, where we distill all of the important information from Wizards of the Coast’s once-weekly informational blog on upcoming happenings for MTG Arena. It’s a bit of a short post this week, so let’s dive straight in.
Arena Cube Continues
The Arena Cube allows MTG Arena players to compete in a limited format that features some powerful cards from the history of Magic. The Cube is currently live on the platform and will be continuing until January 20. Want to try it out but aren’t sure where to start? We’ve got a number of great articles on the Arena Cube to help guide you:
Mad Science Event Starts Friday, January 21
As detailed in last week’s announcements, the Mad Science event will be launching this Friday on MTG Arena. The event is based in best-of-one Alchemy, but participants will be beginning the game with an emblem that reads “Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, amass X, where X is that spell’s mana value.” The event, which awards special Eternal Night card styles from Crimson Vow, will continue until February 1. You can check out last week’s post (linked above) to see the full reward structure.
Double Feature Draft Launches January 28
During the launch of the two Innistrad sets, Midnight Hunt and Crimson Vow, Wizards of the Coast teased a special draft format called Double Feature that would be combining the two sets into one limited environment. While the paper product Double Feature was met with mixed reactions from the community, the draft event will be a bit different on Arena than it will in paper.
Just as in the physical packs, each Double Feature draft pack on Arena will include cards from both Innistrad sets, including two rares total – one from each set. However, the somewhat controversial black-and-white cards from the paper product will not be appearing on Arena for now.
The event will feature best-of-one play to seven wins or three losses, whichever comes first. The entry fee will be set to 10,000 gold or 1,500 gems, and entrants will also earn one Dracula card style that they don’t already own for each entry paid.
The reward payout structure is as follows:
|7 wins||2,500 gems|
|6 wins||2,000 gems|
|5 wins||1,500 gems|
|4 wins||1,000 gems|
|3 wins||600 gems|
|2 wins||300 gems|
|1 win||100 gems|
|0 win||No rewards|
We’ve covered all the basics here, but you can find additional information about the Double Feature Draft over on Wizards’ official event page.
Details on the Next Arena Open Tournaments
This month was the first Arena Open to feature the new Alchemy format, but Wizards announced today that the next Opens will feature limited and then Historic.
The next Arena Open will take place on February 26–27. Both days will showcase Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty limited, but day one will feature sealed deck and day two will be draft.
The following Arena Open will be Historic for both days, April 16-17.
And that covers just about everything from today’s MTG Arena Announcements. You can also find a fully updated schedule of events on Arena included with the full text of Wizard’s original post, which is embedded below, and we’ll be back again next week.
Arena Cube Happening Now
Draft with the best cards in Magic‘s history and play Best-of-One and Best-of-Three matches in Arena Cube, available right now! Check out the full Arena Cube card list.
Don’t miss out—Arena Cube is only here until Thursday, January 20.
Mad Science Begins Friday!
Here’s your chance to add Innistrad: Crimson Vow Eternal Night card styles to your collection: this weekend, join in for the Mad Science event! This Alchemy event features the Zombies! special emblem with the text: “Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, amass X, where X is that spell’s mana value.”
Mad Science begins this Friday, January 21 at 8 a.m. PT and runs until February 1, 8 a.m. PT. Check out the complete details on the Mad Science event page.
Double Feature Draft
From January 28 through February 10, join in a monster mash of a draft event, featuring a special blend of both Innistrad: Midnight Hunt and Innistrad: Crimson Vow! Plus, score a Dracula card style you don’t already own for each entry!
Get all the details on the Double Feature event!
Note: This draft format in MTG Arena only shows cards in the Dracula style if you own the corresponding card style.
Upcoming Arena Open Schedule
Thanks to all those who participated in last week’s first Alchemy Arena Open! We have more Arena Opens ahead in 2022—here’s a peek at what’s coming in the next few months:
- February 26–27: Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty Limited (Day 1: Sealed, Day 2: Draft)
- April 16–17: Historic
Midweek Magic events begin on Tuesdays at 8 a.m. PT and end on Thursdays at 11 a.m. PT.
- January 18–20: Momir
- January 25–27: Slow Start
- February 1–3: Historic All Access
- February 8–10: Cascade
- February 15–17: Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty Phantom Draft
- January 7–21: Strixhaven: School of Mages
- January 21–February 4: Innistrad: Crimson Vow
- February 4–11: Dungeons & Dragons: Adventures of the Forgotten Realms
- February 11–25: Innistrad: Midnight Hunt
Learn more on the Qualifier Weekend information page.
- January 22: Day 1 (must qualify through previous play)
- Format: Traditional Alchemy (Best-of-Three)
- January 23: Day 2 (must qualify during Day 1 to participate)
- Format: Traditional Alchemy (Best-of-Three)
- January 6–21: Arena Cube Draft
- January 6–21: Arena Cube Traditional Draft
- January 21–February 1: Mad Science
- Format: Alchemy with a special gameplay emblem
- Note: This event will award eternal night card styles from Innistrad: Crimson Vow
- January 28–February 10: Double Feature Draft
- Combines cards from Innistrad: Midnight Hunt and Innistrad: Crimson Vow
- Each entry into this event will award a Dracula card style!
January 2022 Ranked Season
The January 2022 Ranked Season begins December 31 at 12:05 p.m. PT (20:05 UTC) and ends on January 31 at 12 p.m. PT (20:00 UTC).
- Bronze Reward: 1 Innistrad: Crimson Vow pack
- Silver Reward: 1 Innistrad: Crimson Vow pack + 500 gold
- Gold Reward: 2 Innistrad: Crimson Vow packs + 1,000 gold + Circle of Confinement card style
- Platinum Reward: 3 Innistrad: Crimson Vow packs + 1,000 gold + Circle of Confinement card style + Falkenrath Forebear card style
- Diamond Reward: 4 Innistrad: Crimson Vow packs + 1,000 gold + Circle of Confinement card style + Falkenrath Forebear card style
- Mythic Reward: 5 Innistrad: Crimson Vow packs + 1,000 gold + Circle of Confinement card style + Falkenrath Forebear card style