Table of Contents
- Alchemy Rebalancing and “Try the Latest Changes!”
- Arena Limited Open Runs this Saturday-Sunday
- Neon Arcade Event from March 4-18
- MTG Arena Announcements, February 23, 2022
- Alchemy Rebalances and Event
- Arena Open This Weekend
- Neon Arcade March 4–7
- Event Schedule
This week’s MTG Arena Announcements, which is usually posted promptly in the morning Pacific Time, was delayed until fairly late in the afternoon today. Wizards of the Coast didn’t leave us guessing as to why for long though – the article was released in conjunction with an exciting new update for players of Arena’s newest format: a new set of balancing changes affecting Alchemy and Historic.
You can read all about the changes, which will be live on the client as of tomorrow, February 24, by following the link above. However, while the rebalancing may be the most exciting news for Arena today, there is still some other new information from the Arena Announcements. Let’s give it a quick review:
Alchemy Rebalancing and “Try the Latest Changes!”
Sixteen cards have been rebalanced in Alchemy, with fifteen buffs and one nerf. Additionally, Fires of Invention has been rebalanced for Historic, where the updated version of the card will be unbanned. You can see the balancing changes for yourself here, or you can also review our full list of Alchemy balancing changes.
Wizards is also trying something new to go along with these new balancing changes: a free to enter All-Access event running from February 24-26 which they’re calling “Alchemy: Try the Changes!” All-Access events give players the opportunity to play any format-legal cards they want for the event, even if they don’t have the cards in their collection. It’s a nice way for players to get to “test-drive” a deck they might want to craft now that the format has been updated.
Not only is the event free to enter, players can also earn rewards for playing: the first win earns a rare Individual Card Reward (ICR) from Alchemy: Innistrad, the second win grants 1,000 Mastery XP, and the third win will earn one additional ICR from the same set.
Arena Limited Open Runs this Saturday-Sunday
As detailed in last week’s announcements, the Arena Open tournament will be taking place this weekend, February 26-27, featuring Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty Sealed and Draft play.
Interested players are encouraged to read the official details provided on Wizard’s event page for the Arena Open.
Neon Arcade Event from March 4-18
Starting on Friday, March 4, the Neon Arcade event will be taking place on the MTG Arena client, offering “Soft Glow” showcase card styles from Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty and gold as potential rewards. The event’s format will be best-of-one Alchemy Singleton, but players will also start each game with the “High Score” emblem that reads: “Whenever you cast a spell, if its mana value is greater than the number of charge counters on High Score Emblem, put a number of charge counters on High Score Emblem equal to the difference and create a Treasure token. This ability triggers only once each turn.”
It should be an exciting way of supercharging the game and encouraging explosive, splashy plays. Participants will play until they reach four wins or two losses, and can presumably enter as many times as they like – new card styles will be earned each time. The entry fee is set for 2,000 gold or 400 gems, and the reward structure is as follows:
|4 wins||2,500 gold + 3 card styles|
|3 wins||1,500 gold + 3 card styles|
|2 wins||1,000 gold + 2 card styles|
|1 win||500 gold + 2 card styles|
|0 win||1 card style|
You can read more details about the event, including the potential card styles you could grab, on Wizard’s official event page.
And that about covers it for this week! You can find the full text of Wizards announcement, including an up-to-date schedule of MTG Arena events and details on the February and upcoming March ranked season, embedded below:
Alchemy Rebalances and Event
We’re rebalancing some existing Alchemy cards on February 24. Check out the details on these rebalancing efforts in the latest article.
Accompanying this rebalance, you’ll find a new event that will give you an opportunity to play with the changes, experiment with different cards and deck builds, and even earn some individual card rewards (ICRs) and XP!
The Alchemy: Try the Latest Changes! event runs February 24–26, has no entry fee, and is an All-Access event—play with any of the Alchemy cards even if they’re not in your collection!
Your first win earns you one Alchemy: Innistrad rare ICR. Your second win gets you 1,000 XP. Get a third win, and you’ll earn one more Alchemy: Innistrad rare ICR!
Arena Open This Weekend
The Arena Open happens this weekend, February 26–27, with Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty Sealed and Draft events!
During Day 1, you’ll have a choice between Traditional Sealed (Best-of-Three) and Best-of-One Sealed matches. Rack up seven wins during Day 1, and you’ll receive an invitation to the high-stakes Day 2 event.
Day 2 is when competition heats up until it glows—in this case, glows neon—and those who earned an invitation to Day 2 will face opponents in Traditional Draft Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty matches with possible prizes up to $2,500!
Get all the details on the February 2022 Arena Open!
You must be 18 years old to participate in the Arena Open.
Neon Arcade March 4–7
Flex those gaming fingers, because the Neon Arcade is about to open with chances to add some sweet card styles to your decks. The format is Alchemy Singleton with a High Score emblem.
Check out the complete Neon Arcade event details, the card styles up for grabs, and then get ready to beat the high score!
Midweek Magic events begin on Tuesdays at 8 a.m. PT and end on Thursdays at 11 a.m. PT.
- February 22–24: Blast from the Past
- March 3–5: Alchemy All Access
- March 8–10: Omniscience
- March 15–17: Standard Shakeup
- March 22–24: What Was Written
- This event uses all of MTG Arena‘s cards from Standard format releases starting with Return to Ravnica.
- February 11–25: Innistrad: Midnight Hunt
- February 25–March 11: Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty
- March 11–25: Innistrad: Crimson Vow
- March 25–April 8: Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty
- April 8–22: Zendikar Rising
- February 26–27: Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty Limited (Day 1: Sealed, Day 2: Draft)
- April 16–17: Historic
- February 10–March 4: Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty Sealed (Best-of-One and Best-of-Three)
- February 24–26: Alchemy: Try the Latest Changes!
- March 4–17: Neon Arcade (earn Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty card styles!)
- March 18–25: The Unbroken Blade
February 2022 Ranked Season
The February 2022 Ranked Season begins January 31 at 12:05 p.m. PT (20:05 UTC) and ends on February 28 at 12 p.m. PT (20:00 UTC).
- Bronze Reward: 1 Innistrad: Crimson Vow pack
- Silver Reward: 1 Innistrad: Crimson Vow pack + 500 gold
- Gold Reward: 2 Innistrad: Crimson Vow packs + 1,000 gold + Hero's Downfall card style
- Platinum Reward: 3 Innistrad: Crimson Vow packs + 1,000 gold + Hero's Downfall card style + Thalia, Guardian of Thraben card style
- Diamond Reward: 4 Innistrad: Crimson Vow packs + 1,000 gold + Hero's Downfall card style + Thalia, Guardian of Thraben card style
- Mythic Reward: 5 Innistrad: Crimson Vow packs + 1,000 gold + Hero's Downfall card style + Thalia, Guardian of Thraben card style
March 2022 Ranked Season
The March 2022 Ranked Season begins February 28 at 12:05 p.m. PT (20:05 UTC) and ends on March 31 at 12 p.m. PT (20:00 UTC).
- Bronze Reward: 1 Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty pack
- Silver Reward: 1 Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty pack + 500 gold
- Gold Reward: 2 Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty packs + 1,000 gold + Hotshot Mechanic card style
- Platinum Reward: 3 Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty packs + 1,000 gold + Hotshot Mechanic card style + Mindlink Mech card style
- Diamond Reward: 4 Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty packs + 1,000 gold + Hotshot Mechanic card style + Mindlink Mech card style
- Mythic Reward: 5 Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty packs + 1,000 gold + Hotshot Mechanic card style + Mindlink Mech card style