MaRo’s The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle-Earth Teaser
On Tuesday, May 30th, 2023 at 9:00 am PT, the official previews for The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle-Earth will begin, due for release to MTG Arena on June 20th, 2023! The set will be legal for Alchemy and Historic, with some cards already revealed on its debut stream. You can check out all the cards below in our set guide below if you cannot wait.
As is the ritual before the beginning of the preview season for each set, MTG’s head designer Mark Rosewater (often shortened to MaRo) gives us a bit of a teaser about what we can expect from the set over on his Tumblr, Blogatog. It usually includes abilities, creature types, and other unusual or noteworthy text that will appear on cards from the set, along with some clues about returning characters and more.
This morning, MaRo published the teaser for The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle-Earth if you are still following along:
Maro’s The Lord of the Rings Teaser
Before previews for The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle Earth ™ officially begin, I thought it would be fun to do another of my Duelist-style teasers where I give tiny hints of things to come. Note that I’m only giving you partial information.
First up, here are some things you can expect:
- five different card types get the legendary supertype
- a decently sized “legendary matters” theme
- new nonmana ward costs
- a mechanic returns but now references a different creature type
- a card that makes a Smaug creature token
- two three-color and one four-color legendary creature to go along with the five-color one already previewed
- a lot of one-of “creature type matters” cards
- a mechanic returns that I had to fight tooth and nail to get into the set it premiered in
- a new creature type gets its own equip cost
- some counters in the set: burden, deathtouch, first strike, hope, indestructible, influence, lifelink, lore, stun, verse, vigilance, and +1/+1
Next, here are some rules text that will be showing up on cards:
- “Whenever you attack with Merry and another legendary creature,”
- “Then create a Food token for each creature you control.”
- “Remove an indestructible counter from Arwen:”
- “Copy any number of target instant and/or sorcery spells.”
- “Whenever you draw a card during an opponent’s turn, create a 1/1 blue Tentacle creature token.”
- “Whenever a creature an opponent control dies, put a +1/+1 counter on Legolas.”
- “Target opponent gains control of target Horse you control.”
- “When this ability resolves for the third time this turn, Gimli fights up to one target creature you don’t control.”
- “You may pay 0 rather than pay the equip cost of the first equip ability you activate during each of your turns.”
- “Whenever you put one or more counters on Aragorn, put one of each of those kinds of counters on up to one other target creature.”
Here are some legendary creature type lines in the set:
- Legendary Creature – Avatar Demon
- Legendary Creature – Bird Noble
- Legendary Creature – Halfling Knight
- Legendary Creature – Halfling Soldier
- Legendary Creature – Horse
- Legendary Creature – Kraken
- Legendary Creature – Nymph
- Legendary Creature – Spirit Noble
- Legendary Creature – Spider Demon
- Legendary Creature – Wraith Noble
Finally, here are some card names from the set:
- Birthday Escape
- Breaking of the Fellowship
- Fear, Fire, Foes!
- Grond, the Gatebreaker
- Horses of the Bruinen
- One Ring to Rule Them All
- Second Breakfast
- There and Back Again
Find out about some of these cards and more in The Lord of The Rings: Tales of Middle-earth™ debut 9:00 am PT on Tuesday, May 30th at twitch.tv/Magic or on our official YouTube channel.’
MaRo’s teasers are always chock full of information and insight into the set, and it’s definitely worth giving the full list a read.
That’s all we have for you concerning The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle-Earth for now. What are some of the tidbits from Mark Rosewater’s teaser that have you the most excited for The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle-Earth? Got any predictions? Let us know in the comments, and we’ll keep you up-to-date with the latest news and spoilers. We’ll see you next week on its debut stream!
Enjoy our content? Wish to support our work? Join our Premium community, get access to exclusive content, remove all advertisements, and more!
- No ads: Browse the entire website ad-free, both display and video.
- Exclusive Content: Instant access to all exclusive articles only for Premium members, at your fingertips.
- Support: All your contributions get directly reinvested into the website to increase your viewing experience!
- Discord: Join our Discord server, claim your Premium role and gain access to exclusive channels where you can learn in real time!
- Special offer: For a limited time, use coupon code L95WR9JOWV to get 50% off the Annual plan!