Each week, Wizards of the Coast publishes a blog post which they use to announce upcoming events and other happenings on the MTG Arena client. It’s Wednesday, which means the announcements are out and it’s time for our weekly review.
This time around, most of what Wizards had to say consisted of reminders of events that have already been announced, although we did get to learn a bit about upcoming previews for Alchemy: Kamigawa. We’ll cover that, and give a quick rundown on everything else from today’s announcements, in the text below.
Streets of New Capenna is Coming!
Wizards started off the announcements with a reminder that Magic’s next set, Streets of New Capenna, will be launching on Arena at the end of next month on April 28. Last week, Wizards have us an official early look at the mobster-themed set – including our first card previews! You can see all the previews and read more about the set in our coverage of the reveal:
Neon Dynasty Championship This Weekend, March 11-13!
Wizards reminds us that the Neon Dynasty Championship, Magic’s next pro-level tournament, will be taking place this weekend from Friday the 11th through Sunday the 13th! Following the usual format for Set Championships, the event will have full live coverage each day over on twitch.tv/magic starting at 9:00am PST. This time around, the competitors will be playing the Historic and Alchemy formats for a $450,000 prize pool and six invitations to Magic World Championship XXVIII.
You can check out Wizards’ Viewers Guide over on magic.gg to learn more about the specifics of the tournament, but Wizards did add one other interesting bit of information concerning the coverage – we will be getting our first look at Arena’s second Alchemy specific expansion set, Alchemy: Kamigawa. Cards from Alchemy: Kamigawa will be playable in both Alchemy and Historic, and we’ll get to see some previews from the set on Sunday during coverage of the Top 8.
The Three Neon Dynasty Card Style Events – From Now Through the End of March
Over the last few weeks, Wizards has been rolling out three different events to allow players to unlock card styles from Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty – one event for each of the three showcase frame styles found in the set. All three events feature Alchemy Singleton with an emblem in play that’s unique to each. Here’s a quick review:
Neon Arcade: The first of these events is the Neon Arcade, which unlocks card styles with Neon Dynasty’s “soft glow” frame treatment. Neon Arcade is live now, and will be running until March 17. Wizards has an event page with the specific details about entry fees and rewards, but we also have an excellent Event Guide featuring decklists for Neon Arcade live now:
The Broken Blade: The next event, which launches after Neon Arcade closes on March 18 and runs through the 25th, will unlock Samurai card styles from Neon Dynasty. The official event page has more details, as does our coverage of last week’s announcements where the second and third events were first revealed.
Out of the Shadows: The final event in the series is Out of the Shadows, which offers the Ninja cardstyles from Neon Dynasty as rewards. Out of the Shadows runs from March 25 through April 1, and is structured in much the same way as the first two events but with a different emblem. You can read all about the emblems and also check out the reward structures by checking out last week’s announcements (embedded above) or by checking out Wizards’ page for the event.
That covers all of the information found in this week’s MTG Arena Announcements. We’ve touched on all of the major details in today’s article, but you can also find the full text of Wizards’ original post embedded below. See you next week!
Streets of New Capenna Launches on MTG Arena April 28!
Streets of New Capenna will be released on MTG Arena and Magic Online on April 28. The tabletop Prerelease in your local game stores will start a bit earlier on April 22.
Neon Dynasty Championship and Alchemy: Kamigawa Preview
This weekend, March 11–13, tune in to the Neon Dynasty Championship where over 230 amazing players will face off in Alchemy and Historic formats for $450,000 in prizes and six invitations to Magic World Championship XXVIII later this year.
Plus, for a sneak peek of what’s next for these formats, we’ll be previewing cards for the upcoming Alchemy: Kamigawa set during the Top 8 broadcast on Sunday, March 13. Check out the Neon Dynasty Championship Viewers’ Guide for more info on where and when to watch!
Score Soft Glow Card Styles in Neon Arcade until March 17
The Neon Arcade event is happening right now, and you can earn Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty soft glow card styles until March 17. The format for Neon Arcade is Alchemy Singleton with a High Score emblem. Find out what the emblem does and get a list of the card styles you can earn in the complete Neon Arcade event details!
We’re aware of an issue affecting the Neon Arcade event rewards and players receiving the incorrect card style for Kodama of the West Tree. We plan to deploy a fix to the event rewards later this week and will automatically grant the correct card style to players who received the wrong one shortly thereafter.
The Unbroken Blade, March 18–25
Master the ways of the samurai in The Unbroken Blade event coming March 18–25. You’ll have the Studying the Blade emblem, which will keep your solitary attackers strong and slicing through the competition, giving +1/+1 to creatures that attack alone (or a +1/+1 counter if you pay the additional life cost).
Prizes include twelve showcase Samurai card styles from Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty, such as this one:
Out of the Shadows, March 25–April 1
After The Unbroken Blade ends, shift into the Out of the Shadows event to continue filling out your card styles collection—this time the Ninja card styles. From March 25 to April 1, enter the streets of Towashi with the Out of the Shadows emblem that can strengthen your creatures and let them spring from the shadows in surprise attacks on your opponents!
Prizes include twelve showcase Ninja card styles from Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty, like this one:
Midweek Magic events begin on Tuesdays at 8 a.m. PT and end on Thursdays at 11 a.m. PT.
- March 8–10: Omniscience
- March 15–17: Standard Shakeup
- March 22–24: What Was Written
- This event uses all MTG Arena‘s cards from Standard format releases starting with Return to Ravnica.
- March 29–31: On the Edge
- April 5–7: Challenger Showcase
- February 25–March 11: Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty
- March 11–25: Innistrad: Crimson Vow
- March 25–April 8: Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty
- April 8–22: Zendikar Rising
- April 22–29: Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty
- April 16–17: Historic
- March 4–17: Neon Arcade (earn Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty card styles!)
- March 17–26: Traditional Sealed Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty
- Developer’s Note: We’ve put Traditional Sealed Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty back on our event schedule based on feedback we received from players who were hoping to have more opportunities to practice for the upcoming Qualifier Weekend. While there may be times when we won’t be able to make these kinds of adjustments, if we can, we will!
- March 18–25: The Unbroken Blade
- March 25–April 1: Out of the Shadows
- March 25–28: Alchemy Metagame Challenge
- Format: Traditional Alchemy (Best-of-Three)
- All players who enter get the Neon Ogre Mask sleeve!
- April 1–8: Dominaria Premier Draft
March 2022 Ranked Season
The March 2022 Ranked Season begins February 28 at 12:05 p.m. PT (20:05 UTC) and ends on March 31 at 12 p.m. PT (20:00 UTC).
- Bronze Reward: 1 Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty pack
- Silver Reward: 1 Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty pack + 500 gold
- Gold Reward: 2 Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty packs + 1,000 gold + Hotshot Mechanic card style
- Platinum Reward: 3 Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty packs + 1,000 gold + Hotshot Mechanic card style + Mindlink Mech card style
- Diamond Reward: 4 Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty packs + 1,000 gold + Hotshot Mechanic card style + Mindlink Mech card style
- Mythic Reward: 5 Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty packs + 1,000 gold + Hotshot Mechanic card style + Mindlink Mech card style