Table of Contents
The Standard Metagame Challenge is a limited-time competitive event held over this weekend, where players test their mettle for one of the biggest (and riskiest) reward payouts on MTG Arena. It has only been three days since the release of March of the Machine, and in this guide we’ll give you a overview of the current metagame, sample decklists before the event starts and proven ones with 7 wins as soon as they are shared. Updated for the April 2023 March of the Machine challenge.
If you haven’t already, be sure to check out our latest Premium article for insights on the Standard metagame, as well as our full range of resources are available for Standard in the below sections:
- Standard Articles and Guides
- Standard Decks
- Standard Metagame
- BO1 Standard Tier List and Rankings
- BO3 Standard Tier List and Rankings
Bring your Standard deck and play best-of-three matches! You’ll receive rewards based on how many matches you win.
- Duration: April 21, 2023 at 8:00 AM PST – April 24, 2023 at 8:00 AM PST
- Format: Standard
- Entry Fee: 2,000 Gold or 400 Gems
- Ends After: 7 wins or 1 loss (whichever comes first – single elimination)
- Match Structure: Best-of-three matches (BO3)
|7 wins||5,000 gold + 30 March of the Machine packs|
|6 wins||4,000 gold + 20 March of the Machine packs|
|5 wins||3,000 gold + 10 March of the Machine packs|
|4 wins||2,500 gold + 5 March of the Machine packs|
|3 wins||2,000 gold + 3 March of the Machine packs|
|2 wins||1,500 gold + 1 March of the Machine pack|
|1 win||1,000 gold|
|0 wins||500 gold|
What is the Standard Metagame Challenge?
Standard Metagame Challenge is a special event that gives players the opportunity to win huge rewards in a relatively new metagame where the new cards from the latest set are being tested, and decklists are being refined. Key things to note for this event are:
- Best-of-three matches: Unlike many MTG Arena events which are BO1, this event requires you to bring a sideboard.
- Changing decks: You cannot change cards in your deck or change your deck in between matches. Once you have paid the entry fee and registered your deck, it’s final.
- High variance: After just one match loss, the event is over and you will have pay the entry fee again should you wish to participate again.
Of course, the best way to reap the rewards is to play one of the the best possible decks! Read on as we will help you choose what deck to play this weekend, how the Standard metagame is developing, and what to expect from your opponents. Do keep in mind, players should generally play the decks they know best – whatever you have the most experience with, and is closest to one of the best decks is probably what you should be playing.
Expected Value (EV)
As you can see from the reward structure above, the event is high variance because it ends as soon as you get your first loss. Most of the value of the event comes after your fifth win, though getting to three wins will at least guarantee your entry fee returned.
Your overall win rate is clearly a big factor in succeeding this event, and it gets more difficult as you progress because you are usually matched against better quality players of the same (or similar) record. Refer to the chart above by Frank Karsten, which shows this in greater detail. That all being said, this event is a great opportunity for players to boost their collection significantly early on in the expansion, which rewards not only your luck but also your skill and knowledge of the chosen deck.
Check out our latest updated Standard meta tier lists for March of the Machine:
Standard Metagame Challenge 7 Win Decklists
Here are the decks that recorded a perfect result for this event and will be added here as they are shared:
Enjoy our content? Wish to support our work? Join our Premium community, get access to exclusive content, remove all advertisements, and more!
- No ads: Browse the entire website ad-free, both display and video.
- Exclusive Content: Instant access to all exclusive articles only for Premium members, at your fingertips.
- Support: All your contributions get directly reinvested into the website to increase your viewing experience!
- Discord: Join our Discord server, claim your Premium role and gain access to exclusive channels where you can learn in real time!
- Special offer: For a limited time, use coupon code L95WR9JOWV to get 50% off the Annual plan!