In this article we explain the how the Duplicate Reward reward system works in MTG Arena, so excess Rares and Mythic Rares you obtain do not go to waste.
Duplicate Protection is an additional reward system that is triggered by progress, for Rare and Mythic Rare cards (please see the topic on Vault, which is a separate system for Common and Uncommon cards). In essence, you will always either receive a rare or mythic rare you have less than four copies of, or you will receive Gems instead.
This depends on how the cards are obtained, as outlined below.
- If you open a rare or mythic rare card that you don’t have four copies of, you receive the card.
- If you would open a rare or mythic rare card that you already have four copies of, the system will automatically replace it with a different card of the same rarity from that set.
- If you’ve collected all the rares and/or mythic rares in the set, the card will be replaced with Gems: 20 Gems for rares, 40 Gems for mythic rares.
Limited Packs (Sealed and Draft)
- Duplicate protection is not applied when you open a 14-card pack in a Limited Event – you will still see and be able to pick any rare or mythic rare card, even if you already have four copies of it in your collection.
- Once you have finished with your Draft picks or opened your Sealed packs, the system will convert any extra copies you may have received. Rares/mythic rares will become Gems, and commons/uncommons will go towards the Vault.
- Extra copies of cards will still be a part of your limited card pool for deckbuilding and participating in the event.
Individual Card Rewards (ICRs)
See topic: Individual Card Rewards (ICRs)
- If you receive a rare/mythic rare ICR you already have four copies of, the card will be replaced with Gems: 20 Gems for rares, 40 Gems for mythic Rares.
- If your receive an uncommon ICR that’s upgraded to a rare or mythic rare, and you already already have four copies of the upgraded ICR, the card will be replaced with Gems: 20 Gems for Rares, 40 Gems for Mythic Rares.
- If you receive an Uncommon ICR and you already have four copies of it, the card will go towards the Vault.
- Unless otherwise indicated in the Event description or Promotions page, Event Reward ICRs are either uncommon or rare standard-legal cards (note: from the recent sets that will not be rotating out in Fall 2019).
Please note rares and mythic rares are protected separately. This means if you’ve collected playsets (i.e. four) of every mythic rare card in a set, you will receive Gems the next time you would receive a mythic rare – it will not “downgrade” to a rare (or vice versa). The Wildcard tracker and Wildcard pack drop rates will not be changing, and opening a booster pack still contributes toward the tracker, even when you receive Gems.
- 16 July 2019 – 0.16.01.00: Section added.