Historic Challenge Event Guide and Decklists – June 2020
The Historic Challege event returns to MTG Arena for two days, an event with a high entry fee and huge rewards to match! Players will test their mettle in competitive Historic best-of-three matches before the upcoming release of Core Set 2021 and Jumpstart. In this guide, we will update you on the Historic metagame for June 2020 as well as the best decks to try for this event. We will also be posting the decks that players are using to achieve good results as the event progresses. Read on to find out more!
- Duration: June 20, 2020 @ 8:00 AM PST – June 22, 2020 @ 11:00 AM PST (players will have until June 22, 8 AM PT to join the event)
- Format: Historic
- Entry Fee: 10000 Gold or 2000 Gems
- Ends After: 8 wins or 3 losses (whichever comes first)
- Match Structure: Best-of-three matches (BO3)
- 8 Wins: 40 Historic booster packs, 15,000 Gold, Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger Sleeve
- 7 Wins: 20 Historic booster packs, 10,000 Gold, Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger Sleeve
- 6 Wins: 12 Historic booster packs, 8,000 Gold, Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger Sleeve
- 5 Wins: 8 Historic booster packs, 6,000 Gold, Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger Sleeve
- 4 Wins: 4 Historic rare Individual Card Rewards (ICRs) 4,000 Gold, Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger Sleeve
- 3 Wins: 4 Historic rare ICRs, 3,000 Gold, Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger Sleeve
- 2 Wins: 4 Historic rare ICRs, 2,000 Gold, Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger Sleeve
- 1 Win: 4 Historic rare ICRs, 1,000 Gold, Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger Sleeve
- 0 Wins: 4 Historic rare ICRs, Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger Sleeve
Booster rewards will be evenly distributed among Ixalan, Rivals of Ixalan, Dominaria, and Core Set 2019 boosters. Historic ICRs grant cards from previous Standard sets on MTG Arena. They do not include cards that were never considered Standard legal on MTG Arena (e.g. cards from Historic Anthologies). Historic rare ICRs may upgrade to a mythic rare (1:8).
What is Historic Challenge?
The Historic Challenge is a high risk, high reward event comparable to the Competitive Metagame Challenge but here we have a bit more leeway since we can have up to three losses. If you are interested in the expected value (EV) for this event, u/SmartyCat12 from reddit has done the maths on the subject. Since the rewards are based around Historic cards (though you can still open Wildcards from booster packs), newer players will want to focus on spending their resources on Standard sets especially with a new set on the horizon.
The Historic Metagame
The Historic format is far from being solved and is relatively diverse compared to Standard, the more powerful decks that people use can be predicted. It is still a three way battle between the three major archetypes – Gruul Aggro, Field of the Dead and Nexus of Fate decks. On the second tier, you can find Azorius/Esper Control, Mono Blue, Mono Red, Kethis Combo and many others. You can find the latest tournament results from our very own Historic tournament below, where Bant Scapeshift took the first place prize this week:
Remember, you can always find the latest Historic decks from our dedicated section. This is where we post the latest Mythic, tournament and cool decks shared to us. Any decks that we share here will be posted directly there also!
The Best Historic Challenge Event Decklists
Below we will be posting the decks that players have used to conquer the event itself (generally aiming for 6 wins or better). We’ll try post them as soon as they are submitted so you don’t miss out! Updated for the June 2020 event.