Historic Format Guide and Information
Historic is a non-rotating (“eternal”) format introduced to MTG Arena as a digital-only constructed format that allows you to use all the cards available from all the available expansions and additional curated sets. It was first officially implemented on November 21, 2019 as a way for players to use cards that have rotated out of Standard with Throne of Eldraine. It now supports a variety of competitive play queues, events and tournaments and has its own list of suspended and banned cards.
Deck Building Rules
- Your deck must be at least 60 cards and there is no maximum deck size.
- Up to fifteen cards may be included in your sideboard, if you use one.
- Include no more than four copies of any individual card in your main deck and sideboard combined (except basic lands and unless specified on the card).
Constructed Legal Sets
Rivals of Ixalan
Core Set 2019
|Historic Anthology 1|
Historic Anthology 2
Historic Anthology 3
|Guilds of Ravnica|
War of the Spark
Core Set 2020
Release date: July 16, 2020
|Throne of Eldraine|
Theros: Beyond Death
Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths
Core Set 2021
Release date: August, 2020
Release date: September 24, 2020
The following cards are also legal for Historic and Brawl, introduced via the Brawlidays and Brawler’s Guildhall events:
Suspensions are cards that are not legal for Historic play, but may be removed from the list or moved to the banned list after review as new cards are introduced in Historic via expansions and supplementary sets. Wildcards are not refunded when cards are suspended.
Below is a list of cards that are currently suspended in Historic and previously removed from the suspension list:
|Card Name||Suspension Date||Unsuspension Date|
|Field of the Dead||December 10, 2020||March 9, 2020|
|Burning-Tree Emissary||July 13, 2020|
When cards are fully banned in Historic you will receive Wildcard reimbursement as normal, with the caveat that you won’t receive multiple reimbursements for the same, individual card. The following cards are banned in Historic, after being initially suspended:
Evergreen Historic Play Queues
You can find other players to play Historic with in the following ways, at all times.
- Play: Casual queue that also counts towards wins and quest objectives. Select a Historic deck to be matched up with other players also using Historic decks.
- Historic Ranked: Best-of-one (BO1) competitive.
- Traditional Historic Ranked: Best-of-three (BO3) competitive.
- Historic Event: Best-of-one (BO1) event that costs 500 gold or 75 gems to enter. It ends after 7 wins or 3 losses, with rewards scaling depending on the number of wins.
- Traditional Historic Event: Best-of-three (BO3) event that costs 1000 gold or 190 gems to enter. It ends after 5 wins or 2 losses, with rewards scaling depending on the number of wins.
The following are the official tournaments endorsed and supported by Wizards of the Coast.
|Event Name||Event Date|
|The Arena Open||August 1, 2020 – August 2, 2020|
|Mythic Invitational 2020||September 10, 2020 – September 13, 2020|
Other Historic Formats
There are a subset of casual formats that can be played during special promotional events on MTG Arena. They share the Historic card pool and usually the same banlist:
- Historic Artisan: Build a deck with only commons and uncommons.
- Historic Brawl: Build a singleton deck around a specific legendary creature or planeswalker as your commander.
- Historic Pauper: Build a deck with only commons.
Learn more about the Historic format in our dedicated sections below: