Historic is in a very interesting place right now - we had one major Historic tournament (the New Capenna Championship in May 2022), but then there were several changes to the format with no tournaments whatsoever to draw data from. First, we had Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate cards, that came with a batch of nerfs and buffs, and finally the new Explorer and Historic Anthologies. It’s clear that the format has changed, but it’ll be hard to figure out which direction it’s going exactly until we have at least some data to draw from - Historic ladder is notoriously fickle, so you really need a tournament or two to know what’s going on.
In Historic, I think the nerf to the two best decks in the format might be the biggest change we’ve had in ages. For several months, I believe the format had two best decks - Golgari Food and Izzet Phoenix, and though you wouldn’t necessarily be able to tell on ladder, these decks were a bit oppressive to the format as a whole because they were simply better than the other stuff.
With the nerfs to A-Cauldron Familiar, A-The Meathook Massacre, A-Dr...
This exclusive content is available for Premium members!
Support MTG Arena Zone and your favorite content creators by subscribing to our Premium community! Get the most of your gaming experience with the following perks for paid membership:
- No ads: Browse the entire website ad-free, both display and video.
- Exclusive Content: Exclusive articles only for Premium members, at your fingertips.
- Support: All your contributions get directly reinvested into the website to increase your viewing experience!
- Giveaways and Promotions: Regularly, we will hold giveaways and promotions to the community.
- Discord: Join our Discord server, claim your Premium role and gain access to exclusive channels where you can learn in real time!
- Tournaments: More information coming soon!
Already a member?