Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths Leak Spoils Three Monster Cards – Godzilla Promo in Magic: The Gathering?
A post from Twitter today revealed images of 3 promo cards from Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths, the upcoming Magic: The Gathering expansion announced to be released to MTG Arena on April 16, 2020. The official previews for starts on April 2, and we have been given titbits of information so far as we eagerly await the set. Mark Rosewater, the Head Designer of Magic: The Gathering, has previously stated that Ikoria has “one of the craziest mechanics we’ve made in quite a while” and has already teased us with some information from the set.
A few weeks ago, someone had claimed that Narset was in Ikoria, but it only came with text and no images. This time, we have much more!
The source claims to have obtained the images from Instagram, and another person has stated that the person who leaked the cards is also from reddit and is a store owner who somehow got a hold of the cards early.
Before we delve right in, remember: These are unofficial, unconfirmed leaks so view at your own risk! For all we know, these cards could be part of an April Fools joke!
Update: The Brazilian Magic: The Gathering Twitter account just teased a picture depicting a foot with four toes…
Major spoiler warning – scroll down at your own risk!
The spoilers below are in Portuguese; our translations for them will be close but could be slightly off as a result!
Bio-Quartz SpaceGodzilla 2BGU
(Brokkos, Apex of Eternity)
Legendary Creature – Elemental Beast Nightmare (Mythic Rare)
You may cast Brokkos, Apex of Eternity, from your graveyard using its mutate ability.
Artist: Svetlin Velinov
Godzilla, Primordial Champion
Godzilla, Primordial Champion 7GG
Creature – Beast Dinosaur (Uncommon)
When you cycle Titanote Rex, put a trample counter on target creature you control.
Artist: Lius Lasahido
King Caesar, Ancient Guardian
King Caesar, Ancient Guardian 3W
Creature – Cat (Uncommon)
Whenever this creature mutates, other creatures you control get +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the number of this creature’s mutations.
Artist: Slawomir Maniak
Some notes about these cards:
- These are promo, alternate art cards featuring Godzilla and King Caesar as a cross-promotion.
- The original card names are written underneath and also as part of the card text, but they have special promo names representing these characters. Note that Godzilla is not Legendary, as the original card is not.
- Hasbro has a licensing deal with Toho International, the creators behind these iconic characters. Godzilla Monopoly and Jenga have already been made.
- The source indicates that these are box toppers, which is “unlike anything Magic has ever done.” according to the Wizards Play Network.
- From the previously teased information by Mark Rosewater, the card text matches what he teased. We also know that Mutate (which we don’t know what it does quite yet) and keyword counters are the new mechanics of the set.
- The arts matches the styles of the artists:
The original images of the promo cards:
The wrapper that contained the above promo cards:
The original Twitter post that posted the images and translations by Charly Traarbach: