Jumpstart: Spoilers and Set Information
Jumpstart is a supplementary set that introduces a new way to play Magic: The Gathering. You take two themed boosters, shuffle them together, and play against your opponent to bring you a mixture of constructed and limited experience. It will be available on MTG Arena on July 16, and released as a physical paper product on July 17. The set consists of more than 500 cards with a handful of unique cards but a majority of them are reprints from Magic’s past and shares 120 cards from Core Set 2021 as they are closely tied together. The most important feature of this set is that the cards will be introduced to the Historic card pool!
What is Jumpstart?
Each Jumpstart booster pack includes 20 cards – including lands. Each card in those packs is one of the 46 themes or archetypes, and most themes have multiple variations – totalling 121 possible 20 card lists. Key features of the set include:
- Cards in Jumpstart will not be Standard legal (unless they are already part of a Standard legal set) but will be introduced to the Historic card pool!
- There are 78 cards in the main set. 37 of them are brand new cards unique to Jumpstart. The other 41 cards are lands with brand new art!
- One in three booster pack includes an extra rare.
- There are around 500 reprints from Magic’s past, and 120 of them are from Core Set 2021 as they are closely tied together.
- There are rarities within the themed packs – such as the “Mythic Rare” themes have only one possible card list.
- 20 cards from the paper Jumpstart (e.g. Exhume) will be replaced by a different card in MTG Arena, and you can find the list below.
Jumpstart will be available on MTG Arena from July 16, available as an event until August 16. Cards obtained from the packs are added to the collection, and the themed Basic Lands can only be obtained via this method. Packs are not available in store, and can be obtained via Wildcards.
- Event Dates: July 16, 2020 to August 16, 2020
- Entry Fee: 400 Gems or 2000 Gold
- Rewards: Up to 2 Rare Individual Card Rewards (ICRs) per win, from the Jumpstart card pool
There are 46 booster pack themes in Jumpstart. Click on the link to see what cards are contained in each of the themes below, along with a brief description for each.
|Minions||Common||Sacrificing creatures for bonuses, and bringing them back again.|
|Rainbow||Mythic||Five colors. Huge, powerful payoff cards which cost all the mana colors to cast, with smaller to make those colors available.|
|Garruk||Mythic||Based around the Planeswalker Garruk Wildspeaker.|
|Lightning||Rare||Aggro, cards with "lightning" in their names|
|Chandra||Mythic||Based around Planeswalker Chandra Nalaar.|
|Predatory||Common||Prey animals that give benefits when sacrificed, and aggressive hunters.|
|Basri||Mythic||Based around Planeswalker Basri Ket and +1/+1 counters.|
|Teferi||Mythic||Based around Planeswalker Teferi.|
|Witchcraft||Rare||Sacrificing creatures for lifegain and Food tokens.|
|Dogs||Rare||White weenie strategy - go wide and grow them with +1/+1 counters.|
|Discarding||Uncommon||Disrupt your opponent's hand.|
|Reanimated||Mythic||Bring creatures back from the graveyard.|
|Vampires||Common||Tribal Vampires, lifegain and losing life strategies.|
|Tree-Hugging||Common||Pump spells and tokens.|
|Wizards||Common||Wizards tribal and control with counterspells and tempo.|
|Lands||Rare||Ramp and play big things!|
|Archaeology||Common||Bring back cards from your graveyard and reuse them.|
|Heavily Armored||Common||+1/+1 counters and go wide|
|Liliana||Mythic||Liliana Vess, Zombies|
|Seismic||Mythic||Elementals, direct damage|
|Above the Clouds||Common||Flying creatures|
|Feathered Friends||Common||Birds and other winged creatures|
|Legion||Common||Go wide tokens|
|Plus One||Common||+1/+1 counters and go tall|
|Spellcasting||Common||Instants and sorceries|
|Spooky||Common||Demons, death triggers|
|Under the Sea||Rare||Big aquatic creatures|
|Devilish||Common||Devils, creature sacrifice|
Spoilers and Card List
The set contains 78 new cards, 417 reprints and the packs also contain a mixture of 69 Core Set 2021 cards that fit into the theme of the booster pack. You can find a reference sheet with the contents of the packs where you can visualize the rares, mythic rares and the basic lands in this guide.