Every Wednesday, Wizards of the Coast releases an announcement bulletin bringing us the latest of their plans for Magic: Arena. Today, Wizards has revealed what the Innistrad preorder bundles will look like, along with details of their ongoing bugfixes and a new upcoming event- Yargle day on 9/3!
Tomorrow, 9/2, Wizards will be releasing another client update for MTG: Arena aiming to “prevent unexpected stability problems” and “includes fixes for several issues” that have been affecting the client since the release of the recent backend changes.
However, Wizards also states that not all of the current known issues will be fixed with this update, and they will continue to work on “high impact issues” going forward. They also warn that upcoming events on the schedule may need to be changed on the fly if issues arise.
Innistrad: Midnight Hunt Preorders
Preorders for the upcoming September set Innistrad: Midnight Hunt will launch on the client tomorrow, September 2. Among the new Innistrad cosmetics that will be available are Wrenn and Seven sleeves, Arlinn sleeves, and a new “Jailer” pet. See below for the full details.
Yargle Day on 9/3
Originally printed in the Dominaria set in the early days of MTG: Arena, Yargle, Glutton of Urborg was a draft legend beloved by players for its odd statline and general silliness. On September 3, Wizards will be hosting a “Yargle Day” event on Arena where players will battle preconstructed Historic Brawl decks featuring Yargle and “a few friends” as the commanders. The annoucement also says that the rules will be “a little… lopsided” but provides no other details.
Please see below for the full text of the announcements bulletin from Wizards.
Bug Fixing Continues
Last Tuesday we delivered a major change to the backend infrastructure of MTG Arena. While this change gives us a stronger foundation to build upon, the last week has been more disruptive for players than we wanted, and we apologize for that. We’re working to identify and address issues as they arise, prioritizing server stability and major player-impacting bugs over other, smaller issues, but as we’ve seen with the matchmaking issues last Friday, the unplanned downtime Tuesday, and the short notice for the planned downtime during tomorrow’s release, we’re still not where we need to be.
Tomorrow’s update will help prevent unexpected stability problems going forward and includes fixes for several issues that have been affecting players recently, but we’re not able to fit every outstanding fix into this release. In addition, it is possible that new issues will arise with millions of player interactions under full system load. Over the coming days and weeks, we’ll continue working diligently to address high impact issues as quickly as we can and minimize their effect on players’ experiences.
Because of some of the uncertainty around our current issues and stability, however, we are actively evaluating our upcoming event and release calendar on a daily basis so we can adjust to emergent issues in a timely manner. Reacting to problems may mean that we need to make more significant changes to upcoming events than normal, though if that happens, we’ll promptly inform players if an event needs to be rescheduled or canceled.
Thank you all for your patience during this time, and we look forward to correcting issues so we can all focus on building decks and battling, particularly with Innistrad: Midnight Hunt just around the corner.
Jumpstart: Historic Horizons Now Live!
It’s here! Jumpstart: Historic Horizons is open and is available until October 14. Join and then pick from themed packet lists to assemble a deck. Then, get right into playing fun competitive matches!
Cards included in packets are either new to MTG Arena or use existing card versions available, and cards from the chosen packet will be added to your collection.
Entry is 2,000 gold or 400 gems. Each of your first two wins awards a rare or mythic rare individual card reward (ICR) from Jumpstart: Historic Horizons.
You can play with a deck as long as you like, and when you’re done, you can resign. Want to score more ICRs and try different packets? After you resign, you may pay the entry to rejoin and select packets again!
Innistrad: Midnight Hunt Preorders Start Tomorrow!
Preorder bundles go on sale tomorrow in the MTG Arena Store. Get your order in before they’re gone and start off your Innistrad: Midnight Hunt collection when the set is released in MTG Arena on September 16, plus get your digital hands on sweet extras like card sleeves and a pet when you purchase bundles!
Purchase one—or both!—bundles:
Arlinn Pack Bundle
$49.99 / €49.99
- Arlinn-themed card sleeve (available when purchased)
- 50x Innistrad: Midnight Hunt Store Packs (available upon set release)
- 1x Arlinn card, plus its depth art card style (available upon set release)
ARLINN FIRST LOOK: Keep an eye on the @wizards_magic Twitter account tomorrow for details!
Wrenn Play Bundle
$49.99 / €49.99
- Wrenn and Seven card sleeve (available when purchased)
- The Jailer pet (available when purchased)
- Innistrad: Midnight Hunt Set Mastery (available upon set release)
- 3x Player Draft tokens (available upon set release)
- 3x Sealed tokens (available upon set release)
- 1x Wrenn and Seven card, plus its card style (available upon set release)
Yargle Day Event Friday, September 3
This Friday is September 3, which means it’s time to celebrate everyone’s favorite 9/3 Frog Spirit, Yargle, with a one-day event!
Yar-Kul was an ambitious lieutenant to Demonlord Belzenlok—a bit too ambitious, as it turned out. As punishment for his impudence, the demonlord transformed him into a maggot. Said maggot became a snack for an unwitting frog, which grew and grew (and, one might assume, suffered infernal indigestion) until the ravenous spirit Yargle refluxed into existence.
In this year’s event, play with preconstructed Historic Brawl decks featuring Yargle, Glutton of Urborg and a few friends as commanders. Of course, it is Yargle’s day, so the rules might be a little . . . lopsided . . .
Format: Preconstructed Historic Brawl
Entry fee: None!
Event date: September 3, 2021
- 1 win: 900 XP
- 2 wins: 300 XP
- August 31–September 2: Historic Pauper
- September 7–9: Historic Artisan
- September 14–16: Standard Singleton
- August 27–September 17: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms
- September 17–October 1: Strixhaven: School of Mages
- October 1–15: Innistrad: Midnight Hunt
- August 26–October 14: Jumpstart: Historic Horizons
- September 3: Yargle Day!
- September 3–16: Tinkerer’s Cube
- September 3–16: Traditional Tinkerer’s Cube
- September 11: Arena Open Day 1
- Historic (Best-of-One) or Traditional Historic (Best-of-Three), both options available
- September 12: Arena Open Day 2 (requires qualification token from Day 1)
- Traditional Historic (Best-of-Three)
September 2021 Ranked Season
The September 2021 Ranked Season begins August 24 following downtime and ends on September 30 at 12 p.m. PT (1900 UTC).
- Bronze reward: 1 Adventures in the Forgotten Realms pack
- Silver reward: 1 Adventures in the Forgotten Realms pack + 500 gold
- Gold reward: 2 Adventures in the Forgotten Realms packs + 1,000 gold + Power Word Kill card style
- Platinum reward: 3 Adventures in the Forgotten Realms packs + 1,000 gold + Power Word Kill card style + Adult Gold Dragon card style
- Diamond reward: 4 Adventures in the Forgotten Realms packs + 1,000 gold + Power Word Kill card style + Adult Gold Dragon card style
- Mythic reward: 5 Adventures in the Forgotten Realms packs + 1,000 gold + Power Word Kill card style + Adult Gold Dragon card style