Alchemy: New Capenna is the third installment in MTG Arena’s exclusive digital-first format, Alchemy. The set is a companion to the April Standard set Streets of New Capenna, and the cards will continue to extend the themes and flavor of the set. New features of Alchemy: New Capenna include:
- The distribution of rarities in Alchemy: New Capenna has changed with more uncommons and fewer rares.
- Alchemy cards get a fresh look to make the “A” for Alchemy visually distinct from the MTG Arena “A” logo.
- Its own Premier Draft event with a slight twist – one common card from the pack will be replaced by an Alchemy: New Capenna card.
In this article, you’ll find all of the information we currently have available concerning Alchemy: New Capenna, including all of the cards that have been revealed so far. Updated daily.
Set Details and Overview
- Release Date: June 2, 2022
- Number of Cards: 30
- Set Symbol:
- Set Code: Y22
- Set Legality: New cards will be automatically introduced to Alchemy and Historic formats.
- Code: PlayAlchemyNewCapenna to receive 3 free packs.
Alchemy: New Capenna continues on with the themes from its parent expansion, with each family’s unique mechanics:
- Connive: If a creature you control is instructed to connive, you draw a card and discard a card. If you discard a nonland card, you put a +1/+1 counter on the creature that connived.
- Shield Counters: If a permanent with a shield counter on it would be destroyed by an effect, a shield counter is removed from the permanent instead of the creature being destroyed. If a permanent with a shield counter on it would be dealt damage, that damage is prevented and a shield counter is removed from the permanent.
- Casualty: As an additional cost to cast a spell with casualty, you may sacrifice a creature with power N or greater, where N is the number that appears after the keyword. If you choose to do so, a triggered ability triggers that copies the spell.
- Blitz: Casting a spell for its blitz cost has several effects. The creature gains haste and “When this creature dies, draw a card.” At the beginning of the next end step, you sacrifice the creature.
- Alliance: An ability word that highlights triggered abilities that trigger whenever another creature enters the battlefield under your control. The effects differ per card.
Alchemy: New Capenna will also feature the digital-only mechanics:
- Conjure: Creates cards out of thin air as a digital object that acts just like a normal card would (as compared to tokens).
- Seek: Cards with this mechanic will have the game randomly choose a card from the library that meets the criteria specified on the card and put it in to your hand.
- Perpetual: Permanently changes a card’s properties, whether they are in exile, graveyard, hand, or battlefield.
- Spellbook: Conjure one from among three randomly selected (draft) from a card’s Spellbook.
- Intensity: Cards with intensity will start with their intensity at a certain value, and the card’s text will include mechanics for perpetually increasing or decreasing its intensity as the game goes on.
Alchemy: New Capenna Booster Packs
Alchemy boosters will use a modified version of Duplicate Protection: It will prioritize new cards from the associated Alchemy set, and after you’ve collected all of them, you will instead receive cards of the same rarity from the adjacent Standard set.
|1 Alchemy Pack||1,000 gold|
|15 Alchemy Packs||3,000 gems|
|Alchemist Bundle: 20 Alchemy Packs||3,000 gems or 15,000 gold|
Alchemy: New Capenna packs will now be awarded by any Alchemy related event on MTG Arena.
Premier Draft New Capenna Alchemy
- Duration: June 2, 2022 at 8:00 AM PST – June 5, at 8:00 AM PST
- Format: Streets of New Capenna Draft
- Entry Fee: 10,000 gold or 1,500 gems or Draft Token
- Ends After: 7 wins or 3 losses, whichever comes first.
- Match Structure: Best-of-one matches (BO1)
This special event, held through release weekend, gives players the opportunity to acquire Alchemy cards through drafting. Players draft three packs of Streets of New Capenna, but one common card in each pack is replaced with a card from Alchemy: New Capenna. This card can be any rarity, so some packs will have multiple rares!
Each draft pack contains one card from Alchemy: New Capenna.
- 55% of packs contain an uncommon card.
- 38.57% of packs contain a rare card.
- 6.43% of packs contain a mythic card.
- Each rare appears twice as often as each mythic.
Premier Draft New Capenna Alchemy has the same entry and payouts as the familiar Premier Draft events and awards Alchemy: New Capenna packs.
Into the Future
- Duration: June 2, 2022 at 8:00 AM PST – June 4, at 8:00 AM PST
- Format: Alchemy Preconstructed
- Entry Fee: Free
- Ends After: You can keep playing, but rewards do not go past three wins.
- Match Structure: Best-of-one matches (BO1)
Into the Future returns with preconstructed decks that spotlight new cards and their capabilities. This event has no entry fee, awards Alchemy: New Capenna packs, and earns you 1,000 Mastery XP for participating!
Alchemy Metagame Challenge
The Alchemy Metagame Challenge returns as an excellent way for constructed players to boost their collection.
- Duration: June 10, 2022 at 8:00 AM PST – June 12, at 8:00 AM PST
- Format: Alchemy
- Entry Fee: 2,000 Gold or 400 Gems
- Ends After: 7 wins or 1 loss, whichever comes first – single elimination.
- Match Structure: Best-of-three matches (BO3)