The Mastery system for Dominaria United (DMU) on MTG Arena is a way for players to receive in-game content through regular gameplay. It runs from September 1, 2022 until the release of the next expansion, The Brothers’ War in November 10, 2022. Players earn rewards based on their current Set Mastery level, which varies for each specific Set Mastery.
The Mastery system for DMU looks largely the same as Mastery for the previous set, Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate (HBG), but there are a handful of changes. Firstly, the DMU Mastery system has a maximum level of 80 instead of 70. Next, there will be additional Renewal Rewards included up to level 31, free for all players who logged in before September 1, 2022. Finally, the rewards contain no Alchemy content.
Overall, assuming The Brothers’ War is set to be released on November 10, 2022, the Mastery requires 8 levels per week (average: 7.6) and players gain 3.3 free packs per week (average: 3). It makes it slightly easier to complete than Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty (NEO) (average: 8.2) and much easier than the previous HBG (average: 8.8). It is slightly more rewarding than the normal 3 free packs per week, similar to NEO (3.27) and HBG (3.375). Thanks to reddit user EmTeeEm for the calculations!
Below is the full breakdown of the Mastery.
Dominaria United Level and Experience
- Duration: Set Mastery spans the duration of a set release, starting when the applicable set releases on MTG Arena until the following set is released. Dominaria United Mastery runs from September 1, 2022 until the release of the next expansion, The Brothers’ War in November 10, 2022.
- Cost: The Dominaria United Mastery Pass costs 3,400 Gems.
A player’s Set Mastery level is based on the amount of experience they have earned through play. Players primarily earn experience by completing in-game Daily Quests, Daily Wins and Weekly Wins. Additional experience may be earned by limited time events or promotional items. You can also use the Mastery Calculator to predict what your final level will be, which can differ depending on how much you play!
- There are a total of 80 levels available in the Set Mastery with each level up requiring 1000 XP. All players receive rewards through Level 66, while players with the Mastery Pass will receive rewards up to Level 80 and beyond.
- All levels past level 80 will earn the player one Uncommon Individual Card Reward (ICR) that has a 5% upgrade rate.
- XP and Orbs from the previous Mastery are not transferred to this one, nor to the next Mastery.
- Players earn Mastery XP via playing the game regularly for a daily total of slightly over 1000 XP and a total of 7250 XP per week. Wins can be earned in any game mode; with the exception of Direct Challenge, and Bot Matches:
- Codes: Redeem any free promotional codes to receive bonus XP:
- LevelUp: 2,000 XP
- Events: Sometimes, there are catchup events or free to enter events that grant Mastery as a bonus.
There are three separate tracks of reward you can earn. Each will be explained below, along with a table of the rewards gained at each level including the Mastery Tree:
- Set Mastery
- Mastery Pass
- Renewal Rewards
Dominaria United Set Mastery
The base standard rewards all players receive. You earn a booster pack of the current set every two levels, up to a certain amount depending on the length.
- 33x Dominaria United boosters
- 5x Mastery Orbs (each redeemable for a card style or sleeve on the Dominaria United Mastery Tree)
Dominaria United Mastery Pass
Set Mastery Pass is an optional way for players to enhance the Set Mastery system. Players who purchase the Set Mastery Pass will be able to earn additional in-game currency or items through play by a secondary Set Mastery track. When purchased, players will receive rewards based on their Set Mastery level, including the Set Mastery Pass rewards from previously earned levels.
Cards and Boosters
- 20x Packs:
- 4x Dominaria United
- 4x Streets of New Capenna
- 4x Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty
- 4x Innistrad: Crimson Vow
- 4x Innistrad: Midnight Hunt
- 10x Dominaria United mythic rare individual card rewards (ICRs)
- Level 81+: 1x Uncommon ICR
- Dominaria United card sleeve
- Exquisite card sleeve
- King Darien XLVIII stained-glass card sleeve*
- Rona, Sheoldred's Faithful stained-glass card*
- Braids, Arisen Nightmare stained-glass card sleeve*
- Squee, Dubious Monarch stained-glass card sleeve*
- Shanna, Purifying Blade stained-glass card sleeve*
*Obtainable from the Dominaria United Mastery Tree.
- 25x Mastery Orbs (each redeemable for a card style or sleeve on the Dominaria United Mastery Tree)
- 15x Common card styles
- 10x Uncommon card styles
- 1x Player Draft Token (redeemable for either a Premier or Traditional Draft)
Gold and Gems
- 4,000 Gold
- 1,200 Gems
- Rundvelt Goblin
- Caliman Goblin
- Otarian Goblin
Adventure isn’t the only thing awaiting in Dominaria United (DMU)! Standard rotation will also be arriving on September 1, and while Zendikar Rising, Kaldheim, Strixhaven: School of Mages, and Dungeons & Dragons: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms will continue to be playable in Historic formats, it’s time for a new Standard meta to rise.
To kick things off, in addition to the Renewal Gift players will receive when they login after September 1, we’ll also be adding additional rewards to the Dominaria United Set Mastery—no mastery pass required!
The Important Stuff
Users must have created a MTG Arena account and logged into their account on or before September 1 to be eligible for rewards.
Individual card rewards (ICRs) are from current Standard sets as of September 1, 2022.
Limit one (1) activation per MTG Arena account.
- 10x Rare or higher ICRs
Renewal Mastery Rewards
- Level 3: 2x DMU uncommon ICRs
- Level 7: 1x DMU pack and 1x DMU mythic rare ICR
- Level 9: 2x DMU uncommon ICRs
- Level 11: 2x DMU uncommon ICRs
- Level 13: 1x DMU pack and 1x DMU mythic rare ICR
- Level 17: 2x DMU uncommon ICRs
- Level 21: 2x DMU uncommon ICRs
- Level 27: 1x DMU pack and 1x DMU mythic rare ICR
- Level 31: Standard 2022 basic sleeve
Again, in order to be eligible to receive renewal rewards, you must have created and logged into your account before the release of Dominaria United!
Mastery Reward Track
|Level||Set Mastery||Set Mastery Pass||Renewal Reward|
|1||Jaya, Fiery Negotiator Avatar, Rundvelt Goblin Pet, Dominaria United Sleeve|
|3||2x DMU uncommon ICRs|
|7||1x DMU pack and 1x DMU mythic rare ICR|
|9||2x DMU uncommon ICRs|
|11||2x DMU uncommon ICRs|
|13||1x DMU pack and 1x DMU mythic rare ICR|
|17||2x DMU uncommon ICRs|
|21||2x DMU uncommon ICRs|
|27||1x DMU pack and 1x DMU mythic rare ICR|
|31||Standard 2022 basic sleeve|
|∞||Uncommon ICR – 5% Upgrade|
To be announced.
Mastery System FAQ
The Mastery System is a way for players to earn experience and unlock rewards by playing Magic: The Gathering Arena.
Players complete the Account Mastery system as part of the new player experience, which unlocks the 15 starter decks as well as certain cosmetics. With Core Set 2020, we’ve expanded this system to now include Set Mastery system which will be specific to each new Standard set on Magic: The Gathering Arena.
All players receive access to the Account Mastery and standard Set Mastery at no additional cost. Players can unlock additional rewards for the Set Mastery by purchasing a Mastery Pass.
The Account Mastery is part of our new player experience and may only be completed once. Your Set Mastery level and rewards will reset with the release of every new Standard set on MTG Arena.
The next Mastery season begins with The Brothers’ War on November 10, 2022 (tabletop release: November 18, 2022).
Set Mastery FAQ
Set Masteries are available for the most recent Standard set, starting on the day the set is released and ending when the next set is released.
The Dominaria United Set Mastery goes up to Level 80. All players receive rewards through level 66, while players with the Mastery Pass will receive rewards up to level 80 and beyond (an uncommon Individual Card Reward every level).
By play! Every time you complete a quest, or earn one of your daily wins (up to 10), or earn one of your weekly wins (up to 15), you’ll receive experience points towards your current Mastery level. Additional XP may be available through special events or promotional items (such as codes). As you level up, you’ll receive rewards based on your current level.
Methods of earning XP include:
· Daily Wins – 25 XP for the first 10 wins per day
· Weekly Wins – 250 XP for the first 15 wins per week
· Quests – 500 XP for each quest completed
· (Other – occasionally there are codes or special events that reward XP.)
All players can earn up to 30 booster packs from the most recent set, as well as 5 mastery orbs that can be used to unlock certain card styles. Additional rewards are available for players who have purchased a Mastery Pass.
When a new set is released on MTG Arena, a new Set Mastery reward track becomes available and your Set Mastery level is reset to 0.
There are currently no plans to allow players to complete Set Masteries for older sets. While you will keep any rewards you may have received from the previous Set Mastery, you will not be able to unlock any remaining rewards once the Set Mastery is no longer available.
Mastery Pass FAQ
While all players have access to the base Mastery System, the Mastery Pass is an optional way for players to earn additional rewards through Set Mastery.
The Mastery Pass can be purchased for 3,400 gems. Players can earn gems through rewards in certain events, or by purchasing them directly from the store.
All players who purchase the Mastery Pass will automatically receive the common Elemental-Themed pet, as well as the Nahiri, Heir of the Ancientsplayer avatar and Zendikar Rising card sleeve.
In addition to the cosmetic rewards, players can get a variable amount of Gold, Gems, Boosters, Tokens, depending on the length of the Mastery.
Each Mastery Pass is tied to a specific Set Mastery. Once a new Set Mastery is released, the older set (and it’s corresponding Mastery Pass) will no longer be available.
Pets are a cosmetic feature that adds a companion creature to your collection. Pets will join you on the battlefield and observe your matches from the sidelines. Please Note: Pets do not offer any additional game play features. It is a cosmetic option only.
Currently, pets are only available through our Mastery Pass bundle.
On your Profile page, you will find a “Pet Selection” option next to the “Change Avatar” button. This will open a browser where you can view the pets in your collection, as well as choose which to display on the battlefield.
You can swap the color of your pet while they are on the battlefield. Simply click your pet, and watch them transform! Additionally, as you complete your Set Mastery your pet will level up alongside you, unlocking an Uncommon and Rare version with additional changes to their appearance.