Alchemy Horizons: Baldur's Gate is the MTG Arena’s digital-only expansion for its exclusive rotating format, Alchemy. The set is a companion to Commander Legends: Baldur’s Gate, a tabletop product designed for Commander (EDH) and drafting.
The cards will be based on the prosperous and influential city of Baldur's Gate, a continuation of Magic and Dungeons & Dragons cross over once more since Adventures in the Forgotten Realms. In this article, you’ll find all of the information we currently have available concerning Alchemy Horizons: Baldur's Gate, including all of the card spoilers that have been revealed so far.
Set Details and Overview
- Release Date: Alchemy Horizons: Baldur's Gate will be available on MTG Arena starting Thursday, July 7, 2022.
- Cards: The set will consist of 250 cards – with new mechanics, new legends, and powerful new spells. It will combine a selection of cards from the original Battle for Baldur's Gate set, some digitally rebalanced for 1v1 on Arena, and brand new digital-only cards.
- Legality: New cards will be legal for the Alchemy format, and will be automatically introduced to live digital-only eternal formats, such as Historic and Historic Brawl.
- Collection: The set will be designed to be drafted, and will have its own draft queues like other expansions, its own Jump In! packs, as well as special events and its own Mastery Pass! As usual, players can also collect Alchemy Horizons: Baldur's Gate cards via Alchemy boosters (individually for 1,000 gold or fifteen for 3,000 gems) or craft them using Wildcards.
- Set Symbol:
- Set Code: HBG
Alchemy Horizons: Baldur's Gate continues on with the themes from its parent expansion, including a brand new mechanic for MTG Arena:
- Specialize: Pay mana and discard a color/land type of your choice to change your card to that new card with its effects (the change depends on which color you discarded).
- Double Team: When a creature with double team attacks, if it’s not a token, conjure a duplicate of the original into your hand, and then both cards lose double team.
- Boon: A new-to-MTG Arena mechanic, not exclusive to the Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate set, boon is a way to represent delayed triggers, similar to an emblem, but once they trigger, they disappear.
- Adventure: Returning from Throne of Eldraine, you can cast the Adventure spell first before casting the main spell.
- Forgotten Realms: Cards from AFR are in this set, which means you get to roll d20s.
Alchemy’s digital-only mechanics:
- Conjure: Creates cards out of thin air as a digital object that acts just like a normal card would (as compared to tokens).
- Seek: Cards with this mechanic will have the game randomly choose a card from the library that meets the criteria specified on the card and put it in to your hand.
- Perpetual: Permanently changes a card’s properties, whether they are in exile, graveyard, hand, or battlefield.
- Spellbook: Conjure one from among three randomly selected (draft) from a card’s Spellbook.
- Intensity: Cards with intensity will start with their intensity at a certain value, and the card’s text will include mechanics for perpetually increasing or decreasing its intensity as the game goes on.
Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate Set Mastery
- 27x Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate packs
- 5x Mastery Orbs (redeemable for card styles or avatars on the Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate Mastery Tree)
Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate Mastery Pass
- Minsc & Boo
* Obtainable from the Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate Mastery Tree.
Cards and Packs
- 20x Packs
- 4x Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate
- 4x Streets of New Capenna
- 4x Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty
- 4x Innistrad: Crimson Vow
- 4x Innistrad: Midnight Hunt
- 10x Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate mythic rare individual card rewards (ICR)
- Level 71+: 1x Uncommon ICR
- Minsc & Boo card sleeve
- Shadowheart exquisite card sleeve
- 25x Mastery Orbs (redeemable for card styles or avatars on the Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate Mastery Tree)
- 15x Common card styles
- 10x Uncommon card styles
- 1x Player Draft token (redeemable for either a Premier or Traditional Draft)
Gold and Gems
- 4,000 Gold
- 1,200 Gems
- Bronze Dragon
- Silver Dragon
- Gold Dragon
How many levels are there in Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate Set Mastery?
The Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate set mastery goes up to level 70. All players receive rewards through level 54, while players with the Mastery Pass will receive rewards up to Level 70—and beyond!
Get ready for a big update for Jump In! New and updated packets, plus alternate card possibilities, will keep you on your toes and let you explore a wide range of strategies. See what you can come up with! Check back next week for the full packet lists and more!
Events open at 8 a.m. PT (UTC -7) and close at 8 a.m. PT (UTC-7) on the dates shown unless otherwise noted.
- July 8–11: Alchemy Metagame Challenge
- July 14–18: Dragon Brawl
- July 22–August 5: Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate
Midweek Magic events open on Tuesdays at 8 a.m. PT and close on Thursdays at 8 a.m. PT.
- July 12–14: Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate Bot Phantom Draft (cards aren’t added to your collection)
All times listed are Pacific time (UTC -7).
Qualifier Play-In events are single-day tournaments in which players compete to earn invitations to Qualifier Weekend events.
- July 16, 6 a.m.–June 17, 6 a.m.: Qualifier Play-In Best-of-One (Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate Phantom Sealed)
- July 22, 6 a.m.–July 23, 3 a.m.: Qualifier Play-In Best-of-Three (Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate Phantom Sealed)
Qualifier Weekend events are two-day events in which eligible players compete for invitations to the Arena Championship held in the fourth quarter of 2022.
Day One and Day Two events close to new entries at 8 a.m. (UTC -7) each day.
- July 23, 6 a.m.–July 24, 4 p.m.: Qualifier Weekend
- Day One and Day Two: Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate Phantom Sealed